Documentation Help Desk Shop Fan Site

About the "Corporate Gothic" Project

Joe’s Writers’ Club aims to create a new genre where paranormal meets the oppression of our corporate society. We have written a collection of short stories dealing with this intertwining subject matter and taken from the unique perspectives of a collection of writers. We will be releasing a new story on the last day of each month starting September 2020! We hope you get inspired to write your own story in the style of “Corporate Gothic” and you are welcome to submit them to be published in this collection so “Corporate Gothic” can haunt us all for years to come.

1 Like

I would love some more detailed information on what corporate gothic means as its own genre. Can you all describe it to me as an elevator pitch so I can have a better understanding?

We definitely have to build out some of the information in forums such as this one. For now, regarding “Corporate Gothic” this synopsis for “the genre” is what we came up with as a group:

There is also more details in our discussion on our Sample Podcast Episode:
podcast.joeswritersclub.com

1 Like

So the goal is to publish regular anthologies in this new genre of corporate gothic?

1 Like

I definitely like the idea of expanding this beyond white collar. In today’s world, I think there’s such a great underbelly to the concept of corporate gothic in blue collar work. Do you have any examples of that or of successful submissions? Would love to take a look and share my thoughts!

I’m also just browsing and finding “workplace horror/scary stories” – any talking points that differentiate some of these (real life) stories from the genre of corporate gothic? :slight_smile:

3 Likes

:slightly_smiling_face: I understand what your getting at with the whole workplace horror thing, but Corporate Gothic is a bit different from that. Reddit is filled with such stories (on youtube it can be days of viewing those text reading vids) Although I can see the similarities, Corporate Gothic has a underpinning of haunted workplaces along with a sort of moralistic fable and or themes which challenge the dog eat dog Corruption and corporatocracy epidemic in the careers / working world of today. I don’t think it challenges the notion of a new sub genre of horror, nor do I feel that exploring these themes with a slightly different emphasis would hurt horror as a whole. If anything we are being creatively specific with a category / thematic, and by so doing hopefully pushing it to the next level. Also, there is a emphasis of “moodiness” to the writing (fog, phantoms, shadows, textures, etc) as opposed to a splatter house or ultra violence, and I feel this to be part of a retronautic tendency which dominates media today, though not for nostalgia’s sake like so many other genres have displayed.

1 Like

This may have been covered already. Could we write short intros about each of our works? How it was thought of. Where we wrote it. Etc. These could be included in our monthly giveaways as well as the 1st editions of the CG hard copy book, either PB or HC.

1 Like

Love this idea! Any opportunity to spread the word about your work and where you’re coming from with this specific genre (?) is also very useful for all things social media!

1 Like

Can we have a Master List of the Stories that have been published in the Corporate Gothic subscription? I would like it listed by Month, as well as Title. I have been told that they are listed somewhere, but it would be nice to have it here in one of the Forums. I have a story due, and I don’t know all of the ones I’ve submitted.

1 Like

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1CHqG8yYKhv6pMHmxL3lyaPHMK3v4ZM6kNMWFA_XgAaA/edit

1 Like