Documentation Help Desk Shop Fan Site

Good books on the craft?

I had the great pleasure of really taking my time watching David Mamet’s Masterclass this summer on playwriting. Pretty hit or miss, as is typical of Mamet in general, but it was super informative and inspiring.

Reminds me of Stephen King’s ON WRITING–anyone read that? I found it helpful–at least more helpful than other craft-related books.

Anyone have any other good craft books that inspire? Looking for one similar to King’s book or even Natalie Gold’s WRITING DOWN THE BONES, but that is so old now I’m wanting something more current.

1 Like

I read the free sample, basically just the forward. It was really good. I’ve been meaning to read the rest of it but a key point I took from what he has said so far is “to be a good writer you need to be a good reader.” (that’s not an exact quote)

1 Like

I would recommend Zen in the Art of Writing by Ray Bradbury. Then there is People Are Folks by M. Scott Peck. A great book for character building.

4 Likes

I remember it being really helpful and one of the more practical approaches to writing I had found in a book like this.

I love David Mamet. His book “THEATRE” was invaluable to me when I was direccting my first show. As for writing, I consider the gold standard to be THE ELEMENTS OF STYLE. It’s short and to the point. And it’s over before you have time to get bored (which is the hallmark of a good book).