Documentation Help Desk Shop Fan Site

How Historical should Historical Fiction be?

Peronally, I wish that historical movies better represented the reality and facts of history. I often find history to be more intriguing than their romanticized representations of history.

2 Likes

If a film gets close to the real events, I’m okay with it. Take, 1776, for instance. It’s pretty accurate, but I’m sure there was no singing when they were writing the Declaration of Independence.

2 Likes

I don’t mind if a director glosses over some of the awful everyday details. I’d hate to see a Sherlock Holmes film set in real London, with horse dung all over the place and garbage in the streets. In The Alienist, there is a passage at the beginning detailing how you could always tell when you were getting close to a major city by its smell. Horse dung was a constant reminder of what a large city was like.

3 Likes

This is my niche! Historical fiction in my opinion has 2 layers- 1st- lightly based on the historical era with minimal amounts of research- 2nd- highly researched about an era or moment in history- It really depends if your writing for more academics or recreating a moment in history entirely. Personally though, I think it’s important to do as much reaearch as possible in order to not upset anyone or just the integrity of keeping that moment in history true to your historical-fiction adaptation

2 Likes

I just finished a new Sherlock Holmes story. This is a special sort of Historical Fiction. All one needs is a few horse-drawn cabs, some fog, and cobblestones and you’re in London in 1897. Let me know what you think of the story. The title is Mr. Holmes and The Monster.
I’ll figure out a way to get this to you. Do you have access to our Google Docs forums?

3 Likes

I’m sure I do but idk how to get to it atm​:grimacing: Anyways I like reading from a pdf more if you can send it that way?:pray:t2: Th.kubrak@gmail.com __ if not though no worries at all

2 Likes

This story is being rewritten, based on an excellent suggestion from Julie. It involves gutting the first half. I’ll send that to you as soon as it’s in satisfactory condition.

1 Like