Documentation Help Desk Shop Fan Site

My top ten musical films

How could have I forgotten these or this Category?

SINGIN’ IN THE RAIN
MY FAIR LADY
THE MUSIC MAN
BRIGADOON
MARY POPPINS
YANKEE DOODLE DANDY
THE SOUND OF MUSIC
THE COURT JESTER
ENCHANTED- 2007

I am surprised you didn’t include LITTLE SHOP OF HORRORS. I really think it’s one of the best movie musicals ever. Streaming on HBO Max right now. I had a blast watching it one Saturday quarantine night this summer. That opening number is fantastic and oddly, looks very similar to Bushwick!

I much prefer the 1960 original, non-musical. Filmed in 2 days, it’s a classic of minimalist sets, dialogue, and SPFX.

Filmed in 2 days? wow!

1 Like

That’s so funny, I tried to watch it and lost interest. I found the musical to be so much better. Why do you like the 1960 version? Is this not a musical story that is lightened up by some of the score?

I just didn’t think the music did anything for the story. And it didn’t have Jack Nicholson in it.

1 Like

What are your thoughts on the MARY POPPINS remake a few years ago?

I personally found the MARY POPPINS remake dreadful. None of the charm of the original. Emily Blunt wasn’t bad in the role. Of all the A-List talent working today, Blunt or Hathaway were really the only two women who could do the part justice. But Lin Manuel Miranda (as popular as he is) didn’t fit. I can’t recall a single verse of one of his songs, but FEED THE BIRDS and GO FLY A KITE are still just as delightful for me to listen to now as when I was a kid.

Surprised that no one’s mentioned FIDDLE ON THE ROOF, yet…

2 Likes

I agree. MP Returns was flat and uninspiring. The songs were as instantly forgettable as those in The Greatest Showman. You forgot to list Whatsername Adams, who was excellent in Enchanted.
Feed the Birds has always been a big favorite of mine.
I have yet to see Fiddler On The Roof. It’s on my Must Watch Soon list, which is very long.

My top ten list of musicals (as of this moment).

1. Les Miserables
  2. Phantom Of The Opera
  3. Sound of Music
  4. Fiddler On The Roof
  5. Pirates of Penzance
  6. Oliver!
  7. Wizard of Oz.
  8. West Side Story
  9. Man Of La Mancha
  10. Oklahoma!

All right–throwing my top few in here!

LITTLE SHOP OF HORRORS
HEDWIG AND THE ANGRY INCH
HAIRSPRAY (the original and remake–anyone? anyone?)
CABARET
INTO THE WOODS
THE PRODUCERS
MAMA MIA
SISTER ACT (Can I count this??)
CRY BABY (with Johnny Depp)
CHICAGO

Any takers?? :slight_smile:

I’ve only seen Shop, and that’s because I’m a big Roger Corman fan.

Wait, you’ve seen none of the others???

None of them. I did, however, see the original version of The Producers. Modern Musicals, from say, 1985 on, have been terrible. Maybe I’m someone who prefers the older style Musical, Like My Fair Lady.

By and large I can agree with that, but Newsies is a pretty good musical. And so was the Lion King.

The Lion King? A truly lousy film. Both of them. The worst of all the Disney animated films. Very few people I know like the film if they ever watch it a second time. And the live action film had none of the charm, what there was, of the animated film.

For me, that’s a surprising perspective. A lot of people disliked the 2019 remake (including me), but the original 1994 version has a firm place in my heart. Then again, I saw that during my childhood. Yes, it borrowed a lot of elements from Kimba the White Lion, and other Japanese anime, but the film has some very strong themes that still resonate today.