Documentation Help Desk Shop Fan Site

What Are You Reading Right Now?

Just curious as to the reading habits of everyone on the site. At the moment I am reading “A Confederacy Of Dunces”. Also picked up a copy of Tolkien’s “Tales From the Perilous Realms” to read after that. I have to restrain myself from walking into bookstores right now until I’ve finished both of these, because I am constantly feeling the urge to get a new book.

2 Likes

I’m reading a self-published book called “The Fifth Horseman” by Gregg Gonzalez. It’s really rough so it’s taking me a while. I’m only about 80 pages in and it’s around 420.

I’m reading “A Hitch At The Fairmont” by Jim Averback. It’s about Jack, a 12-year-old orphan who goes to live with his Aunt Edna. One night, she is kidnapped. Jack enlists the aid of Alfred Hitchcock to help him get his aunt back. Hitchcock is in town to prepare to shoot “Vertigo” which takes place partly at the Fairmont.
Halfway through this one. A lot of fun if you’re a Hitchcock fan.

2 Likes

Does “A Hitch At The Fairmont” include a passage where Hitchcock bullies Kim Novak for not being Grace Kelly? :wink:

2 Likes

I don’t think so. it’s actually a YA novel, but the story is irresistible.

Sounds like it could be an interesting movie.

I know the feeling. I don’t think I’ve ever just visited a bookstore and not purchased something. That’s why we have a house filled with books. Our vacations always include visits to local used bookstores.

2 Likes

Currently reading (slowly, as it’s very painful) INCIDENTS IN THE LIFE OF A SLAVE GIRL and a nonfiction book on meditation by Jeff Carreira about the practice of “having no problem” when meditating

1 Like

I loved Incidents in the Life of a Slave Girl. I read it in college. Interesting read!

I am reading Legendary Wolf by an Indie writer on Amazon. I like the plot, but am struggling with the stylistic choices.

3 Likes

I never read “Incidents in the Life of a Slave Girl”. I should check it out. IOver the weekend, I took a break from my usual steps to peruse the 39 Steps. It was interesting to me as it was also Hitchcock’s first truly great film. Honestly, the film is an improvement over the book. There’s an uncomfortable anti-Semitic tone. Reading books from the early 20th century can often be cringe inducing due to the overwhelming racism shared by many literary titans such as Jack London and Hemingway. Still, 39 Steps helped create the thriller genre and is worth a read. It’s barely over 100 pages in length.

2 Likes

I’ve been on a Mystery kick for about six weeks. I’ve re-read all of the Sherlock Holmes books. I’ve moved on to Agatha Christie. I’m doing an in depth comparison between Miss Marple and Hercule Poirot. Both are fascinating characters, and I’ve never come down with a favorite between the two.
Which of these detectives do you prefer?

1 Like

I am currently reading Harlan Coben’s Drop Shot and Stay Close. I was fortunate to have met this author at a book signing back in 2012. He is a great Mystery writer and an inspiration to me. He writes thrillers that keep you on the edge of your seat. He has many standalone novels and also a series about a sport agent Myron Bolitar who solves mysteries. Harlan has had several successful Netflix shows as well. I am currently working on a novel with inspiration from this writer.

2 Likes

Welcome to the club!
I’ve read one Corben novel and was very impressed. Right now I’m bouncing between Agatha Christie and Raymond Chandler, with some Dashell Hammett and Mickey Spillane thrown in.
If you need some help with your book, give me a yell.
Have you tried Donald Westlake and his alter-ego Richard Stark? He was the best at his chosen sub-genre- The Caper.
One author who really gets into my head is Michael Slade. I can only read him every six months or so because it takes that long to shake it off. His titles tell you what you’re going to get into: Headhunter, Ripper, Burnt Bones, Ghoul, Zombie.

1 Like

Right now I’m reading Fevre Dream by George RR Martin on Tom’s rec, Michelle Obama’s Becoming and trying to read Plain Bad Heroines aloud to my girlfriend but it’s like a 600pg novel and pretty slow going.

1 Like